Thrush for over 4 years.

I have had thrush for over 4 years now. I suffered and home treated for 18 months before it reached proportions and lost sense of taste totally that forced me to seek medical help and was diagnosed with HIV. Later found to be full blown Aids with cd4 a 12 and viral load over 157,000. I have been on Nystatin, Fluconizole, Itraconizole daily since with no real cure. I don't have many abscesses unless I injury my mouth with food or something. I have a constant burning and tingling on my tongue and inside lips. My tastebuds are off. I take two thrush meds a day and now medicaid doesn't want to pay for the Itraconizole anymore. They have just now suggested I see an ENT (Ear,nose,throat) for additional medical opinions and tests. I feel it's still thrush only. My cd4 is 265 and viral load undetectable. I take Isentress and Truvada since my diagnosis in 2009.

Hello and thanks for posting.

Sounds like you're having a difficult time. It's rather unusual to see such highly resistant thrush anymore, particularly in someone who's CD4 is on the mend.

A couple of thoughts cross my mind when hearing your story. First, is do you still really have thrush? There are a variety of conditions that can cause the appearance of thrush (but aren't). A culture (and perhaps biopsy) confirmation of the diagnosis seems reasonable given the duration of your symptoms and lack of response to good treatments. Perhaps not surprisingly, thrush treatments really only treat thrush and if the issue isn't... , you get the idea.

Next, if oral candidiasis (thrush) is confirmed, culture susceptibility testing will confirm if it's drug resistant or not.

I'd try eliminating any unnecessary medications or supplements, since it's possible that one might be causing a drug reaction.

Hope that's a start; stay in touch, BY

Taking Raltegravir and Elvitegravir together?
Desease progression