Taking Atripla, Celexa an Wellbutrin

I was April 18th, 2013. I was on anti-depressants before starting treatment for anxiety and depression. I started taking Atripla 6 weeks after infection and two weeks after diagnosis. Since starting treatment, I've been severely depressed, wobbly, forgetful, and sometimes feeling very manic, especially in speech. I since have talk to my doctor and says there is nothing more that can be done for the depression, but to think that this is the new normal for me is not an option. My question is, since I was clinically depressed before diagnosis, are there any meds that I can take that will lower the risk of long-term CNS effects?

Thank you in advance for your response

Hello and thanks for posting.

Though it's possible that you could have had worsening of your mood that was unrelated to HIV medications, given the known possible side effects of efavirenz (part of Atripla) and mood, my answer will approach your question from this angle.

I tend to try to avoid the use of efavirenz in people who have active, or poorly controlled mood disorders. In this regard, it's worth considering whether there are suitable alternatives. Since this is your first regimen (and presuming that you don't have any issues with HIV drug resistance), other 3rd agents might be reasonable substitutes for efavirenz. The other single tablet regimens, Complera and Stribild both contain the tenofovir and FTC that are contained in Atripla, but substitute efavirenz with either a NNRTI or integrase inhibitor, respectively.

It sounds as if there aren't other options to treat your depression/anxiety, so exploring the options to switch HIV medications and adjusting for side effects might be the most reasonable strategy.

I hope that helps, BY

Complera and Allegra
Can I go back to Efivarenz?