For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Acute infection

In january 2013 i tested negative. Then end of march i had a fever and 15th of april i tested positive. I had my first bloodtest: cd4 350 viral load 85000. After seeing the graphs i was quite shocked that my cd4 is already that low? Why is it already below 500? Or is this an overshoot in the dip? I am 32 and started directly with atripla. If i take this can i sustain a cd4 higher than 500 or will there be a gradual decrease over the years?

Hi and thanks for posting.

CD4 cell counts drop precipitously during acute infection and then rebound (although not usually to pre-infection levels). If your tests were obtained during acute HIV infection, the CD4 cell counts don't reflect what your levels would be after seroconversion.

Starting treatment very early is actually thought to preserve CD4 levels quite well- so I'd expect your subsequent tests to show normal CD4 absolute counts and percentages.

I hope that helps, BY

How many days after injection of penicillin D would kill the bacteria?
Not quite undetectable