The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can advanced aging in HIV cause kyphosis?
May 19, 2013

I am a 42 year old asymptomatic Hiv+ man and suddenly I have developed a fat deposit at the base of the back of my neck. My doctor has ruled out lipodystophy and calls it dowagers hump. Is it possible advanced aging with Hiv is the cause of this at 42?

Response from Dr. Young

Hello and thanks for posting your interesting question.

I'll assume that your doctor has made the correct diagnosis- that your neck curvature isn't lipodystrophy but rather a "dowager's hump". The later is actually a manifestation of bony problems of the spine.

This can be because of trauma (though I'd suspect that you would have mentioned this) or because of compression fractures. In the negative population, fractures are most commonly associated with osteoporosis- and indeed our research with the CDC indicates that when matched for age and gender, HIV+ers are at significantly greater risk of such fractures.

Osteoporosis and bone health is an area of growing concern for HIV care providers. At a minimum, it's probably a good thing to have a bone mineral density scan (called a DEXA), have your kidney function and vitamin D levels checked. Avoidance of tobacco and getting adequate amounts of weight-bearing exercise and dietary calcium and vitamin D are also help prevent (or treat) the condition. For more about osteoporosis, take a peek at

Be well, and feel free to write back with any follow up questions. BY

who got infected first.
period sex

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint