Would PEP be appropriate?

In the past 24 hours I had protected insertive sex with a man, but the condom slipped off and my urethra was exposed for several strokes. He also performed oral sex on me before and after. I am worried because after talking to him I found out he is from a country with a very high HIV rate, and he lived in new york as a gay male while HIV rates were increasing the most. I purchased a home HIV test and asked him to take it but he refused to take it and became defensive. I know its bad to assume but I am virtually certain that this man has HIV based on his reaction to my questions and request to take a test, along with his time spent being a sexually active gay man in places with high rates of HIV infection. I know PEP is usually reserved for cases of near imminent infection, but I don't know if I feel comfortable taking a chance like that.

Hello and thanks for posting.

From what you've described, I don't think that you had the highest risk exposure, but nonetheless, if you were my patient, I'd offer you PEP. The key is to initiate the PEP treatment within 72 hours of the exposure.

I hope that helps, BY

kidney
from Alluva & Lamzid to Odimune