Tinnitis

Hi Dr. Young,

I just read your response to the person who indicated hissing in both ears attributable to his HIV meds. You indicated that you doubted that it could be attributable to his HIV meds, but I can tell you that without a doubt tinnitus developed the very first night I began my meds 4 years ago. The onset was immediate and obvious. It hasn't lessened at all. I started on Atripla and then switched to Viramune and Truvada 30 days later due to other side effects. So I suspect one of the drugs in Truvada is the culprit. I've told my doc, but he seemed to think, rightfully so, that as long as I'm undetectable, tinnitus is a small price to pay.

Hi and thanks for your commentary.

I've since heard of rare cases of tinnitus- thought to possibly associated with Truvada (or at least one of its medications).

If Truvada really is the cause of your symptoms, I'd be wondering about trying alternative NRTIs, such as abacavir/lamviudine (Epzicom). Persistent side effects shouldn't have to be "dealt with" if there are suitable alternatives.

Be well, BY

Follow-up Question - Supplements
body change