Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Controlled HIV infection Dental problems
May 12, 2013

Hello, Doctor Young ! I m 33 old female , living in Italy , HIV positive since 1999, and i m now on integrase inhibitor (experimental drug, i think), protease inhibitor and R.T. inhibitor. My doc said i m doing well. However , i have dental problems, and i received 4 zirconia-ceramic crowns. A friend of me told me , that they are radioactive, because uranium and hafnium are found in natural circonia ores, and can not be removed by manufactures, and also, i could swallow pieces of dental ceramics and so get some alpha rays in my body...Is that really true? I m in higher cancer risk through my HIV-status and certainly donz want to have aditional (oral) cancer risks due to dental ceramics? What should i do, and which dental materials would you recomand? Thank you so much I wish you all the best

Marina

Response from Dr. Young

Hello Marina and thanks for posting.

As far as I know and could research, there is no radioactive material in zirconium crowns.

There is evidence of higher rates of certain cancers among people living with HIV, none are associated with dental materials. Rather, higher rates of oral, anal and cervical cancers appear to be related to human papilloma virus infection.

Hope that helps, BY

Previous
boy cured with cord blood?
Next
eviplera

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.