Sodium Ascorbate (Vitamin C), Green Barley, & Spirulina

I read the answer to a question of alternative medicines. It made me sad that the response was negative. I read an article on research of using Sodium Ascorbate in HIV+ patients and the results were encouraging.

My friend who tested positive in Dec 2012 and result of his CD4 count:492 (in Jan 2013) is hoping that taking Sodium Ascorbate, Green Barley and Spirulina could somehow help maintain his CD4 count. Are we putting too much hope?

In the internet, it is said that Spirulina inhibits virus replication by as much as 50%.

Sincerely, Jayson

Hi Jayson and thanks for posting.

You can find just about any opinion on the internet. I try to stick to the highest quality peer-reviewed publications in scientific journals. (I'd suggest searching the US National Library of Medicine using Pubmed as a starting point.)

There's no credible scientific evidence that any of the supplements that your friend is taking preserves immune function in people infected with HIV. Indeed, hoping that these do at the exclusion of proven antiretroviral medications is, in my opinion, a dangerously risky false hope.

Current US treatment guidelines (set by an expert panel of the countries smartest minds) recommends HIV treatment for all people living with HIV who are willing and able to take medications, irrespective of CD4 count.

Hope that this is clear, and helpful. BY

ARV'S and throwing up
anti HAVIgG reactive