Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Sodium Ascorbate (Vitamin C), Green Barley, & Spirulina
May 11, 2013

I read the answer to a question of alternative medicines. It made me sad that the response was negative. I read an article on research of using Sodium Ascorbate in HIV+ patients and the results were encouraging.

My friend who tested positive in Dec 2012 and result of his CD4 count:492 (in Jan 2013) is hoping that taking Sodium Ascorbate, Green Barley and Spirulina could somehow help maintain his CD4 count. Are we putting too much hope?

In the internet, it is said that Spirulina inhibits virus replication by as much as 50%.

Sincerely, Jayson

Response from Dr. Young

Hi Jayson and thanks for posting.

You can find just about any opinion on the internet. I try to stick to the highest quality peer-reviewed publications in scientific journals. (I'd suggest searching the US National Library of Medicine using Pubmed as a starting point.)

There's no credible scientific evidence that any of the supplements that your friend is taking preserves immune function in people infected with HIV. Indeed, hoping that these do at the exclusion of proven antiretroviral medications is, in my opinion, a dangerously risky false hope.

Current US treatment guidelines (set by an expert panel of the countries smartest minds) recommends HIV treatment for all people living with HIV who are willing and able to take medications, irrespective of CD4 count.

Hope that this is clear, and helpful. BY

Previous
ARV'S and throwing up
Next
anti HAVIgG reactive

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.