HIV, complera medicine, and Thyroid problem?

Hi Doctor. I was wondering if HIV along with the medicine taking for it, Complera, in this case can cause Thyroid issues/problems. The reason I ask is because for several weeks now. It feels as though there is a blob of mucous lying at the very base of my throat where, in fact the thyroid would be, that I just can't seem to get up or remove/go down. I had visited an ENT practitioner today and the stuck a small camera down to where my vocal chords are and said that the throat looked completely healthy and no signs of irritation or acid reflux. However, they recommended that I do begin to take a medicine such as Prilosec or heartburn medicine to see if that does away with the issue. As well as schedule an appt with a GI doctor. Does this seem extreme to you? For the record, it doesn't hurt to swallow my food or swallow my drinks. And I don't have any heartburn or stomach acid reflux. At least I don't feel as I do? Just wanted some advice.

Hello and thanks for posting.

I'm a bit confused-- the doctor said that there was no evidence of acid reflux, yet gave you an acid lowering medication?

As for seeing a GI specialist, this could be a reasonable next step, and not extreme, but I'd suggest checking back in with your primary care (or HIV) doctor first, just to see if there's any other issue- for example, a respiratory tract infection or even dental problem might be a cause, but without a more detailed history or examination, it's difficult for me to say.

Good luck, BY

HCV and HIV
Could your develop Thryoid or Throat cancer if you're positive.