Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HCV and HIV
May 8, 2013

Dear Dr I have had my labs redone today and the transaminases have gone down dramatically in the past 10 days :AST 38 UI/L (from 300) ALT 124 IU/L (from 600). Still my Dr believes this is an Acute Hepatitis C, and must wait for two months to see if the viral load for C clears by itself. I was hoping to start treatment straight away. In your opinion are we wasting precious time? is this the best approach? Thank you again Paco

Response from Dr. Taylor

In general with acute hepatitis C, waiting 12 weeks from the time of infection to see if your body gets rid of the infection on its own, without medication, is recommended. Checking your hep C viral load during this time may also be helpful, to know if you have cleared the infection. If after 12 weeks you have not, you may be offered treatment. It sounds as though your physician is on top of acute hep C!

I would consider discussing with your doctor, checking for other infections that can be acquired (caught) at the same time as hep C, including syphilis, for example.

I wish you the very best.

Previous
Unisom
Next
HIV, complera medicine, and Thyroid problem?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.