HCV and HIV

Dear Dr I have had my labs redone today and the transaminases have gone down dramatically in the past 10 days :AST 38 UI/L (from 300) ALT 124 IU/L (from 600). Still my Dr believes this is an Acute Hepatitis C, and must wait for two months to see if the viral load for C clears by itself. I was hoping to start treatment straight away. In your opinion are we wasting precious time? is this the best approach? Thank you again Paco

Response from Dr. Taylor

In general with acute hepatitis C, waiting 12 weeks from the time of infection to see if your body gets rid of the infection on its own, without medication, is recommended. Checking your hep C viral load during this time may also be helpful, to know if you have cleared the infection. If after 12 weeks you have not, you may be offered treatment. It sounds as though your physician is on top of acute hep C!

I would consider discussing with your doctor, checking for other infections that can be acquired (caught) at the same time as hep C, including syphilis, for example.

I wish you the very best.

Unisom
HIV, complera medicine, and Thyroid problem?