Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Should I be concerned? About my numbers and my medicine?
May 1, 2013

Hi Doctor. I'm the individual who has asked you previously about whether chewing my Complera was ok. My doctor called and gave me the results of my last blood draw that was taken a week and a half ago. Cd4 went from 671 to 691 and my VL went from 67 to...71. Now she however stated that she is marking this as unchanged and that it may be a lab error. However, I would like your opinion on it. Does this intact mean that chewing the complera just isn't going to cut it? Kinda nervous and scared.

Response from Dr. Young

Hi Nervous,

I agree with your doctor. There aren't any meaningful differences between your two sets of labs. Indeed, viral loads in this very low range are not infrequently lab errors, or the result of insignificant activation of your immune system (from stress, cold sores or colds).

Chewing your medication should have no effect; but make sure that you are getting the recommended dietary intake of food (~400 cal) with each dose. This could have an impact on the amount of the Complera that you absorb.

Be well, BY

Previous
Urgent! I am running out of ISENTRESS® (raltegravir) - options what to do
Next
Complera timing/food requirement

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.