[Kazahkstan] help and opinio, pls reply

Dear Sirs/Madams,

SOS: I really need help, as I stopped my ARV therapy due to hard side effects. Please read my med-story and help with life-saving advice and experience! My name is Alexandra; Female; leave in Kazakhstan, Almaty; 25 years old; I was diagnosed HIV positive when I was 18 years old, on a 3rd month of pregnancy. I caught HIV sexually from my husband. 5 (five) years later I started an ARV therapy accompanied with the side effects described below in details: I started with these drugs: Virocomb and Nevirapine. After a few weeks of therapy I had side effects, e.g. nausea and vomiting, within a month a toxic hepatitis began. Due to above mentioned side effects, Nevirapine was replaced by Aluvia. As a result, the biochemistry returned to normal, but vomiting and nausea didn't pass within 3 months. My therapy was calculated and re-nominated based on weight (my weight is 42 kg.); I started taking tablets of Virocomb and 2 tablets of Aluvia. As a result, nothing has changed. Virocomb was canceled; I continued the therapy with Aluvia only, one month. As a result, I got diarrhea and weight losing. Truvada was included to my therapy with Aluvia. I changed the therapy regime, in order to take therapy one hour after breakfast. As a result, diarrhea cases decreased, CD4 cells were 460, and Viral Load was 500 copies. 8 (eight) months later, stomach attacks has started. I went through all examinations and as a result I was diagnosed with the hypertrophic gastritis, the reflux, the pancreatitis, the cholecystitis, and the deformed gall bladder. I never had such side effects before. I started treatment of gastrointestinal path, Intravenous therapy, relevant injections, and drugs. After 10 days I was diagnosed with erythema nodosum, I took 10 days of Intravenous therapy more. But stomach aches remained. During this time I kept a diet. As a result of these side effects, I took a decision to stop the ARV therapy for 3 days, during these 3 days my stomach aches gone. Aluvia was replaced by Retrovir. I started taking Truvada and Retrovir. In addition to my stomach aches, the nausea and vomiting returned. I was placed in a hospital, had examinations, and was diagnosed mainly with: a) chronic erosive gastritis of antral part of stomach (exacerbation); b) Chronic reflux oesophagitis (exacerbation); c) Biliary reflux. In addition, I have the accompanying diagnosis: a) chronic jet pancreatitis; b) chronic cholecystitis (stones less) with hypofunction of a gall bladder. I continue treatment over these diseases, but I have stopped ARV therapy, as a result my CD4 cells decreased to 380. Among ARV drugs which are available in Kazakhstan, these ones I havent took yet: Stavudine, Zeffix, Stocrin, Efavirenz and Viread.

Please help me with advice taking into account my medical treatment history and available ARV drugs in Kazakhstan (which I have and havent taken yet). I will deliver your advice to my doctor in order to improve the therapy. Please let me know if you need more details!

P.S. I still want to believe that this world has good people ready to help and spend time to give life-saving advice!

Hello Alexandra and thanks for posting from Central Asia!

It certainly sounds like you've experienced some unfortunate yet characteristic side effects of medications:

1) drug-induced hepatitis from nevirapine 2) nausea and vomiting, perhaps from zidovudine (Retrovir, part of Virocomb/Combivir) 3) diarrhea from Aluvia (we call it Kaletra)

A regimen of Truvada with efavirenz (Stocrin) would be a very well established combination (also know in these pages as Atripla) and likely avoid many of the previous toxicities that you've experienced.

I hope that helps, please feel free to write back, BY

Seems like you do tolerate the Truvada

generic vs. original med
HIV and HCV