HIV and HCV

Dear Dr Young,

Thank you for your reply regarding my recent co-infection with hepatitis C. In your opinion, with the levels of transaminases 300/600 is it safe to continue with Atripla?. I have no pains or fever etc, but the Dr has told me to rest in bed, is there any evidence that this helps the recovery time of acute hepatitis C? Thank you for yur suggestion, I will talk to my Dr about starting early treatment for HepC. May I ask which is in your opinion the best combination of medication for HCV?

Thank you again for your help

Best regards

Paco

Hi and thanks for posting.

If we're confident that the HCV was the cause of your elevated transaminase tests, then yes, I'd continue on with the Atripla.

As for recovery time, there's no set timeline. I'd think that carefully adding back your normal activities would be ok.

As for best treatments for HCV, there's a wide range of opinions. There are two currently approved HCV protease inhibitors; both would be taken with ribavirin and (ick) peg-interferon. There should be better tolerated medications in the near future too. Be sure to discuss the pros and cons of treating now versus waiting with your doctor.

I hope that helps. Stay in touch, BY

Osteopenia
tribuss when is it best to take?