you have given us quite a lot of counsel

you are so kind with your advice on us poor hivers. Anyway, i have been in trouble trying to adhere with my ARVs.I dont even know where to start. So let me ask you, i have developed quite strong tinnitus since trying to adhere to Atripla. Is this normal? I had mild tinnitus for long time before starting meds 14 months ago. Now i have developed it in full, and its growing very loud 24 hrs. a day. What is your opinion? I am not pressing this issue to my health provider, because i have several deep extra depression side effects we are now currently trying to solve. Thanks a zillion, dear doctor Young. My labs are sort of ok and i am 60 years old. Best wishes to you and everybody at the Body.com

Hello and thanks for your nice words.

Ringing in the ears (tinnitus) is not a common side effect of the medications in Atripla (tenofovir, emtricitabine or efavirenz), though sometimes is reported . Tinnitus is common in the general population, and can be quite a bother.

Since you already have a ongoing dialog with your care provider about your mood side effects, I'd suggest also discussing the tinnitus with him/her- make sure that there aren't any other causes or possible culprit medications.

I hope that helps. Stay in touch and be well, BY

CMV+ donor allogenic stem cell transplant in CMV- patient
Atripla, undetectable and tattoo?