Stopping Atripla after high LFT

Dear Dr Young.

Thank you for your quick response.

I also felt unhappy with the Dr decision, and returned this morning to the surgery, this time another Dr saw me. You were right, I have tested positive for Hep C, which could explain the high transaminses. The new Dr says there is no need to stop Atripla, so I am going back on it, having missed only one dose. However, HEP C and HIV are not very good news I suppose? is there a treatment for HEP C or do I have to wait for it to resolve by itself? Thank you again

Paco

Hello Paco,

Good to hear back from you and that the mystery of the elevated LFTs was solved. Though it's reassuring that I was right, I'm sorry that the answer was hepatitis C infection.

Hepatitis C and HIV are indeed not a great mix, though remarkably common. HIV appears to increase the likelihood of developing chronic HCV infection and the rates of progression of liver disease. The good news is that new treatments for HCV can cure the infection in most people. Current medications are still a bit bothersome (similar to the early days of effective HIV treatment), but newer, better and easier to take meds are in the near-term pipeline. While about 30% of individuals will clear the HCV without treatment, cure rates with treatment (especially during acute infection) are dramatically higher, in excess of ~75% in some studies. I'd suggest having a discussion with your care providers about your options.

I hope this is helpful, and please feel free to write back anytime. BY

vacination
Colagen