Prediction of Source of infection

Can source of HIV infection be predicted? I was diagnosed of infection in 1998. Prior to it i was working on clinical isolates of tuberculosis and isolation from blood and lung samples. After infection is diagnosed my wife alleged me of having extramarital relation. I was never involved in any promiscuous activities, nor have any kind of addiction. On contacting lab they denied as them being the source of HIV infection by saying that they only work on tuberculosis. My wife thinks I'm lying. What in your opinion can be possible source of infection? Please answer it as we are on verge of divorce as she thinks I broke her trust.

Sorry to hear of your difficulties. Unfortunately, the source or timing of one's infection can't be accurately predicted from a medical standpoint.

HIV is only transmitted by exposure to infected body fluids, so this limits the possibilities to either sexual, injected drug use or certain occupational exposures (that involve either injuries or exposure to mucous membranes).

1998 was a long time ago. If you and your wife are experiencing ongoing marital problems as a result of this (albeit understandable) question, I'd suggest speaking to a therapist or case manager about your questions.

Hope that helps. Good luck, BY

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Issues of trust, betrayal and communication play a huge role in the success of any relationship. Certain forms of couples counseling teach dialog skills that can greatly promote healing. Imago couples counseling is one modality that is very effective. You can find a list of Imago therapists at www.gettingtheloveyouwant.com.

Best,

David

Atripla and liver damage
Beta Glucan supplements