Question on Cure news...

Dear Dr. Young, There is a lot of news about the baby as the 2nd patient cured of HIV. While, we all know that there was nothing new in the news except for the probable proof that HAART is effective if administered at the right time; the best part of Media news is that it helped to reduce the Stigma a bit. That means a lot.

Meanwhile, I kept on wondering about a news last year - Two HIV-infected men are showing no traces of HIV in their blood after going through stem cell transplants similar to the one "Berlin Patient" Timothy Brown received, according to a study presented at the XIX International AIDS Conference. What happened to them? Why is there a complete silence on that case?

Hi and thanks for posting.

I'm not sure about your sourcing- there's been a lot of news about Timothy Brown and others around the topic of functional cure of late.

I don't want to be overly critical here, but I wouldn't call the Mississippi case as old news, her story was only brought to the world's attention in March. I does mean a ton, but there's still much work to be done on her case, the vulnerabilities that women living with HIV endure and the many difficulties in effectively linking positives to non-judgmental medical care.

Further, here's a recent Huffington Post summary from March 15 that highlights some additionally provocative news on fourteen adults who appear to be functionally cured of HIV.

Yours in non-silence, BY

Truvada and lactic acidosis in colonoscopy prep
Restarting HIV meds