Truvada and lactic acidosis in colonoscopy prep

hi. i have a colonoscopy prep to do in the next few days. i've been taking Truvada for about 2 months now. my concern is, since preparation for a colonoscopy can cause dehydration AND Truvada does have a risk of inducing lactic acidosis should i be concerned with this happening? it kinda worries me because that is a major warning on the Truvada label. i do not have any of the listed warning risk factors, but still concerns me greatly. Thanks!

Hello and thanks for posting.

Lactic acidosis is astonishingly rare and takes many weeks if not months to develop- most of the reports of LA come from the bad old ddI and d4T days, and I'm not sure if I've ever heard of a credible case attributed to Truvada.

Indeed, we definitely recommend screening colonoscopy for all people living with HIV over age 50- I would not consider the even transient dehydration from the colonoscopy prep to be of concern. Just make sure that you hydrate before the procedure.

I hope that your scope goes well. BY

Hiv Meds and Herbal Supplements
Question on Cure news...