Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advanced Stage
Apr 3, 2013

As I mentioned My sister has died and this is miserable to the whole family. I can't believe what happened. Is this possible. How can a person die within 6 months when she has a cd4 count of 316. Can the cd4 count drop that fast from 316 to 28 within 3 months. I just wanted to find out what could have gone wrong. Please answer me.

Response from Dr. Young

Hello,

I'm so sorry about your loss. It is unusual for people with suppressed HIV on treatment to have such rapid decreases in absolute CD4 cell counts.

If I recall, your sister's last CD4 count was obtained when she was very ill. It' quite possible that this absolute CD4 cell count wasn't truly reflective of her HIV-related immune health, but rather that all of her white blood cells were depressed because of her ongoing other infection(s). One way to see if this was the case is to look at your sister's total WBC count or CD4 percentage. If my hunch is correct, her total WBC might have been low when she died or her CD4 percentage might have been relatively preserved. It's not uncommon for people to have very low white blood cell counts when they experience severe infections, such as cellulitis, pneumonia or sepsis.

I hope that helps. Again, so sorry for your loss. BY

Previous
HIV/AIDS questions
Next
Salvage Regimen

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.