Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Starting Treatment or Delay a couple of weeks
Mar 30, 2013

There has been recent evidence in studies that patients who start therapy during seroconversion or within 10 or so weeks of acute seroconversion may fare better with lower viral loads and reservoir levels in the long term. I had the rash and fever the week of January 7th. My current CD4 is 481 and VL of 300,000. I am waiting on my resistance and genotype tests to come back and have an appointment on March 28th to determine how to move forward. If I start therapy around the 28th, I will be within the 10 week point of my acute serocoversion. There is a chance that I could be put on a clinical study that would start enrolling in the next couple of weeks, but I would have to go through screening including genotyping and resistance testing again and that could delay an additional 4 weeks for treatment. Is there enough evidence that I should start treatment around the 28th or waiting another 4 weeks for screening be advised for the clinical study? The study is a good one and I think would be beneficial, but I don't want to lose a window of opportunity. Thx.

Response from Dr. Young

Hello and thanks for posting.

I don't think that there is a single correct answer to your question.

Starting in a clinical trial has it's potential benefits and starting very early makes increasing sense, especially in light of recent clinical trials data on this subject.

I don't think that the current data tells us if starting at 10 weeks or 14 weeks would make any difference in the long-term prognosis; indeed, I think that either would by anyone's books be considered very early treatment.

If the study makes sense to you, then I think this is a reasonable strategy- no windows lost in my opinion.

I hope that rambling helps, BY

Previous
Seeking new regimen
Next
Stribild.. time to change to a different med?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.