Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Dont know what to think???
Mar 30, 2013

May 2012 - Got pneumonia dr had me take hiv and CD4... CD4 while sick was at 340, Screen test resume positive, Western Blot came out neg.

June 2012- Took Hiv Screen resume positive, Western Blot came back neg.

July 2012- Seen another dr wanted me to take blood for my immune. The test was a immunoglobulin test and it came back at normal limits.

Aug 2012 My wife and I had lil girl hospital tested wife for HIV and it came back neg but dr said i could be positive and she would still be neg.

Feb 2013- My dr wanted to run another hiv test. Screen test came back again resume positive and Western Blod came back indeterminate this time. My local state department keeps calling me wanting me to keep testing because I could have it? I guess the hospital gave them my info since i've had all the screen testing resume positve. What should I do? Please Help

Response from Dr. Young

Hello and thanks for posting.

First off, if you had three non-positive Western blot tests, spaced out over multiple months, you don't have HIV.

The screening tests are just that- a screening test. As such, they are designed not to miss true positives, but at the expense of yielding a few false positives. This is exactly why the follow up confirmatory tests (like Western blot tests) are run.

A number of conditions can produce false positive screening tests (but not false positive confirmatory tests). These include other viral illnesses, pregnancy and auto immune conditions.

It seems to me that the issue to focus on is your health, rather than this false positive screening test. If your health is otherwise good, then other than routine follow up HIV tests (and many others), I wouldn't be overly concerned (though the emotion behind a "positive HIV test" is understandable).

I hope that helps and wish you and your family well. BY

Previous
ellissa test result
Next
Can I get HIV if a guy put a finger in my butt

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.