I have had MS for 4 years and now I was diganosed with HIV

I have had MS for the last 4 years, I been managing that illness very well taking Avonex which I know suppress the immune system, however today I found out that I am HIV + and besides being in shock I am scared to death.

Do you have any articles, knowledge or research of people living with MS and HIV and controlling both illnesses successfully, how will the Avonex or HIV therapy interact with each other, positively, negatively?

Hello and thanks for posting.

Unfortunately, there's little literature (nor do I have any professional experience) about the interactions between MS and HIV. There's no reason to believe that there's negative interactions between Avonex (interferon beta) and HIV medications, but it makes sense to monitor your symptom and labs (especially your CD4 count and complete blood count) closely. Similarly, it makes sense that your HIV should be treated with a well tolerated suppressive regimen before embarking on the MS medication.

Interestingly, there are some tantalizing data about human endogenous retroviruses (not HIV) and the disease processes of MS. Some have suggested a possible role of the integrase inhibitor raltegravir in the treatment of patients with severe MS. This concept will be explored in an upcoming clinical trial.

I hope that helps and please give us a progress report. I'm sure that your health will be of interest to others. BY

Meds for treatment naive
HIV and autoimmune diseases