Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

ever heard of an HIV-positive lady freezing eggs for fertility?
Mar 30, 2013

Hello, you seem to keep up on research. Have you seen a scenario like this? What do you recommend? I'm a case manager and one of the doctors at my organization had this come up.

Say we've got a woman who is living with HIV, and she's experiencing the onset of menopause, possibly a little bit earlier than she was expecting, but she still wants to have children. Is it possible for her to freeze her eggs for later use at that point? And what are the possible barriers to making use of them later, as far as advanced maternal age and uterine viability to support a pregnancy, etc.? Have you read or heard anything about this at all?

Response from Dr. Young

Hello and thanks for posting your interesting questions.

I've not heard of this situation, but I would think that if the fertilized eggs were to be implanted back into the same HIV+ woman that there shouldn't be any major issues.

There's much written about the special issues of healthy aging and HIV and I'm sure that there's little in the literature about post-menopausal in vitro pregnancies, so this is a bit of uncharted territory. My first assumptions though would be if the woman was otherwise healthy (and the same caveat would apply to HIV-negatives too), that this would be a possibility.

Let us know how your organization and client approach the question. I'm sure that it'd be of interest to our readers.

BY

Previous
Follow up regarding pep switch
Next
missed hiv meds

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.