ever heard of an HIV-positive lady freezing eggs for fertility?

Hello, you seem to keep up on research. Have you seen a scenario like this? What do you recommend? I'm a case manager and one of the doctors at my organization had this come up.

Say we've got a woman who is living with HIV, and she's experiencing the onset of menopause, possibly a little bit earlier than she was expecting, but she still wants to have children. Is it possible for her to freeze her eggs for later use at that point? And what are the possible barriers to making use of them later, as far as advanced maternal age and uterine viability to support a pregnancy, etc.? Have you read or heard anything about this at all?

Hello and thanks for posting your interesting questions.

I've not heard of this situation, but I would think that if the fertilized eggs were to be implanted back into the same HIV+ woman that there shouldn't be any major issues.

There's much written about the special issues of healthy aging and HIV and I'm sure that there's little in the literature about post-menopausal in vitro pregnancies, so this is a bit of uncharted territory. My first assumptions though would be if the woman was otherwise healthy (and the same caveat would apply to HIV-negatives too), that this would be a possibility.

Let us know how your organization and client approach the question. I'm sure that it'd be of interest to our readers.

BY

Follow up regarding pep switch
missed hiv meds