Interaction SIMVASTATIN + PIs

Dear Dr Young I am HIV+ since 2006 ( nadir 104) , CD4 around 650, VL UD,late fifties, and feeling healthy. Current regime Darunavir 800mg+Ritonavir 100mg+Lamivudine300mg once daily ( got rid of Abacavir few months ago ). Despite a sparse and largely vegetarian diet for years, a blood lipid test indicates Total Chol of 250, HDL 52, LDL 172, Trygs 234 and hence my current Doc has put on antilipid SIMVASTATIN. However, after I checked for drug-drug interactions, I read in the drug leaflet and in other websites including thebody.com that taking SIMVASTATIN is CONTRAINDICATED with Darunavir, lopinavir and other PIs at the risk of life itself. Has the Doc been careless in prescribing it or else ?

Your volunteer work on this website is much appreciated.

Ernest

Hello Ernest and thanks for posting.

Firstly, I'd agree that you should be taking a lipid-lowering medication- if your fasting labs really reveal a LDL of 172, this is a strong indication for the use of a statin medication. Furthermore, if you're male and over the age of 50 (and don't have any contraindication) you should probably also be on low-dose aspirin for the prevention of cardiovascular disease.

Now, your right that simvistatin should not be taken with protease inhibitors- this is because of a very significant drug-drug interaction that raises the simvistatin levels and increases risk of toxicity. (BTW, this doesn't affect how the HIV medications work.) It's probably an oversight, and one that both your doctor and pharmacist should pick up, but this is one reason why collaborative relationships between patients and their care providers can keep everything on the right track.

Other statins, such as pravastatin or atorvastatin are much less likely to cause such problems; I'd suggest speaking to your care provider about this and ask for a switch. For now, I would not recommend taking the simvistatin.

I hope that helps and stay in touch, BY

Kivexa and pregnancy
Are my meds ok?