Kivexa and pregnancy

I am on kivexa and raltegravir for about two years. I have been trying to conceive this year. My doctor thinks this medication is safe for pregnancy. But I have read some articles about kivexa not being recommended for pregnancy. Could you please tell me whether the kivexa is safe for the baby? So I can decide to switch because there is possibility that I may be pregnant. Please advise. Thanks.

Hello and thanks for posting.

A general principle of HIV care for women and pregnancy is that the first, best thing to do is to suppress the virus. So, if you've been successful on Kivexa (Epzicom, abacavir/3TC) and raltegravir, then the best recommendation could easily be to continue on this regimen.

Abacavir has a category C listing with the US FDA- meaning that animal reproduction studies have shown an adverse effect on the fetus and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in humans, but potential benefits may warrant use of the drug in pregnant women despite potential risks. Most HIV medications fall into this category.

So I'd recommend talking to your provider about what the pros and cons of the various options you might have are; but in the end, continuing on your working regimen could quite likely be a very good option too.

Be well, BY

Combinations of drugs
Interaction SIMVASTATIN + PIs