Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Kivexa and pregnancy
Mar 28, 2013

I am on kivexa and raltegravir for about two years. I have been trying to conceive this year. My doctor thinks this medication is safe for pregnancy. But I have read some articles about kivexa not being recommended for pregnancy. Could you please tell me whether the kivexa is safe for the baby? So I can decide to switch because there is possibility that I may be pregnant. Please advise. Thanks.

Response from Dr. Young

Hello and thanks for posting.

A general principle of HIV care for women and pregnancy is that the first, best thing to do is to suppress the virus. So, if you've been successful on Kivexa (Epzicom, abacavir/3TC) and raltegravir, then the best recommendation could easily be to continue on this regimen.

Abacavir has a category C listing with the US FDA- meaning that animal reproduction studies have shown an adverse effect on the fetus and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in humans, but potential benefits may warrant use of the drug in pregnant women despite potential risks. Most HIV medications fall into this category.

So I'd recommend talking to your provider about what the pros and cons of the various options you might have are; but in the end, continuing on your working regimen could quite likely be a very good option too.

Be well, BY

Previous
Combinations of drugs
Next
Interaction SIMVASTATIN + PIs

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.