Serrapeptase?

Several friends of mine in Thailand have been prescribed Danzen (Serrapeptase)as an anti-inflamatory, in one case for a friend with TB in his lymph nodes. His doctors are very well-qualified (John Hopkins) but I see that this is consider a food supplement here in US. What can you tell me about this medication and any interactions with HIV meds? Thank you.

Hello and thanks for posting.

Serratiopeptidase is an enzyme product that is thought to have anti-inflammatory properties and is apparently used by many medical providers outside of the US. (I've actually never heard of it).

My search of the published literature about this (using the National Library of Medicine's pubmed function) found a nice recent review article which cites:

"The existing scientific evidence for Serratiopeptidase is insufficient to support its use as an analgesic and health supplement. The data on long-term safety of this enzyme is lacking. Evidence based recommendations on the analgesic, anti-atherosclerotic efficacy, safety and tolerability of Serratiopeptidase are needed."

Hope that helps, BY

CD4 count still dropping
Combinations of drugs