Dosage

I was exposed to unprotected sex and went to the hospital to seek help within 72 hrs of exposure. My doctor prescribed only three tenofovirfumarate tablets to me. Is that the right dose or what is the right amount of dose one need to take to be on the safe side?

Hi and thanks for posting.

You're receiving Post-exposure Prophylaxis (PEP). The current US PEP Guidelines recommends a 28 day treatment with either 2 or 3 drugs. The list of options are noted at the end of the document.

There are separate guidelines for "non-occupational" (ie., sexual) exposure, though I find that this distinction a bit non-sensical.

While it's not uncommon to give a patient a "starter kit" of medications for a few days, while some additional laboratory information about the source patient emerges, I'm concerned that you might not have been given a fully active regimen (ie., tenofovir fumarate is only one medication).

I'd suggest talking to your provider. BY

Switching from Efivarenz & Lamzid to Atripla
Heat problems of PEP