AIDS diagnosis

Hi I was diagnosed with AIDS and KS in August 2012 and was immediately put on HAART (Truvada/Isentress). My CD4 was only 7 that time but now it has moved up to only 58 (Feb test). My viral load is now undetectable from 300,000 in August.

I am a bit worried over this slow increase but generally I feel healthy except for mild fever occasionally due to KS inflammation. I was put on chemo in August for KS and still undergoing treatment.

The good news is that I dont take drugs, dont smoke and am taking my medicine on a regular basis. What is my prognosis? Are there any chances I can live long with such a low CD4 ? Seriously seek yr advice on this.

Hello and thanks for posting.

While you were diagnosed with HIV/AIDS and a precariously low CD4 cell count, it seems like you're on the way to recovery and health.

For "late presenters" like you, it can take longer to heal the immune system damage caused by HIV, but do know that with time, recovery can happen. Indeed, your continued adherence to your medications and maintenance of an undetectable viral load are the best predictors of a good long-term prognosis. Your health risks will remain present (though decreasing) until your CD4 count rises above 100-200, or so and you should make sure to stay engaged in your health- and mental health care.

What we do know about people who do achieve normal (>350) CD4 cell counts and suppressed virus is that we can now anticipate essentially normal life expectancy- large study groups recently have confirmed this point. So, there are good chances of a long and healthy life.

So, hang in there, keep up with the adherence and stay in touch. BY

3 months and 3 weeks, after exposure and PEP.
Switching from Efivarenz & Lamzid to Atripla