3 months and 3 weeks, after exposure and PEP.

I had a risky exposure to HIV in noveber and I got on pep 27 hours after. Since then I have gained weight on my hips, face, chest, and have leg pain that's usually annoying and doesn't go away. The pills they gave me for pep were truvada/kaletra. My question is after all this I got tested 3 months and 3 weeks after the exposure and it came back negative, so is there any chance that I need to get tested again because I might still have it??? My doctor says I 100% don't have it and theres no chance that I do.

Hello and thanks for posting.

PEP is very effective if started within 72 hours of exposure and adhered to through the 4 week treatment.

A negative HIV antibody test at or around 3 months is definitive. 100%. There's no need to retest for HIV (at least for this exposure) at this time, but if your still feeling poorly, you should communicate this to your care provider for additional evaluation.

BY

Stribild
AIDS diagnosis