Stribild

My son had a severe skin reaction to Stribild just after starting his first med for his treatment of HIV. He is not on drugs, alcholol ora smoker. There are 4 components in this drug. It has been suggest that it might be elvitergrvir. He sure liked the one pill a day regime....what next..??

Thankyou DOC. Young

Hello Mom, and thanks for posting.

Sorry to hear about your son's difficulty. Let's assume that your son isn't taking any other medications (as some are associated with skin rash, such as trimethoprim sulfa).

Then it's reasonable to assume that one of the four medications in Stribild could be the culprit. None are commonly associated with rash, so the best we can do is make an educated guess (I'd agree that elvitegravir is probably the most likely).

What's next is to construct a regimen that does not include elvitegravir- and resume medications cautiously (if the new regimen includes any of the other three medications in Stribild- tenofovir/FTC or cobicistat). It's not difficult to do this, but choosing a replacement for elvitegravir requires an understanding of viral and life style considerations.

FWIW, there are two other single tablet regimens that could be used, Atripla and Complera. These regimens include the tenofovir/FTC, but replace the cobi/elvitegravir parts with efavirenz or rilpivirine, respectively.

I hope that helps, BY

Did I infect my nephew?
3 months and 3 weeks, after exposure and PEP.