Cuba Trip again

Hello Dr Young,

Last year you gave me good advises before I went to Cuba to visit my family, let me start to let you know that my cd4 are 759 and viral load is non-detected, I was going trhough a very bad depression few months ago but it got better due to therapy! so I feel great again and keep fighting this virus but here goes my question: Is it ok to go to Cuba with my cd4 lower than last year? What are the chances of me getting an infection there? I know Cuba is pretty safe country and nothing bad happened last year but I would like to know what would you recommend in case of diarreah, vomits and other risks. I am going to the capital (Havana) if that helps any and also in July that means that will be VERY HOT there . please help and I'll be waiting !!!

God Bless you Dr Young!!!

Daylet

Hi and nice to hear back from you.

Your CD4 count is normal, so I wouldn't expect your travel-related health risks to be substantially different that HIV-negative persons.

I'd be mindful of your risks of food borne diarrhea- this means avoiding raw fruits and veggies (I usually stick to ones that are cooked or that are freshly peeled) and drinking bottled or purified water. I really like using the Steripen UV sterilizer products for this purpose. They're simple to use, work and keep me with safe water wherever I travel (and that's a lot). This is going to be especially important in Havana, since it will be hot, and it's a good idea to drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration, especially if you have any kidney problems or IMHO are taking a tenofovir-containing regimen (which might cause kidney problems if you get remarkably dehydrated).

I usually recommend travelers be vaccinated for hepatitis A (and if indicated, hepatitis B).

I hope that helps. Buen viaje! BY

PEP med resources
Drug interaction