Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

22 years old HIV positive for 7 years no meds CD4 count 0. (Reader's comment welcomed)
Mar 13, 2013

I contracted HIV when I was 16 I'm now 22 years old. I have never been on any medication I believe in a more alternative way. I recently had pneumonia like 6 months ago and I'm better now. I went to go check my viral load and cd4 count and I have a cd4 count of zero and a viral load in the millions. I don't feel sick or anything but they won't me to take meds I don't feel I need them. Would you put me on meds even though I feel and look fine.

Response from Dr. Young

Hello and thanks for posting.

It's good to hear that you're feeling better after having pneumonia- but if I were your doctor (or you my son or daughter), I'd be strongly recommending that you start on HIV treatment.

On average, with a CD4 count less than 50, never mind zero, you have very real risk of lethal complications or cancers in the next 12 months.

I'd encourage you to have a conversation with your care providers about your reservations about starting. Know that HIV medications can be as simple as 1 pill a day and with few, if any significant side effects. In my opinion, I wouldn't risk my health or life over a pill a day.

I hope that helps. Please feel free to write back. BY

Previous
American purchasing meds in Thailand?
Next
Emergency HIV test, treatment

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.