The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

PRP method - any restrictions ?

Mar 12, 2013

Dear Mr.Young I am a former athlete. Due to a prolonged knee stress ( and maybe consequences of HIV status over 10 years ) both of my knees are âworn out â so to say. Ultrasound and X-rays has shown signs of mixed patellar tendonitis and knee arthritis , and a ruptured meniscus on one knee.

One of the very best resolving method for this/those kind(s) of sport injury is PRP â Plasma Rich Platelet method , which include injecting a concentrated source of autologous platelets containing several different growth factors and other cytokines that stimulate healing of bone and soft tissue in the injured knee.

The technologies of this process include centrifugal devices for extraction of the platelet cells , glass tubes etc., etc.

And a question is: does my HIV status represent a threat to other users of the centrifugal devices ( who would use the same device after me ) , or to put that in a different perspective- are there any legal and health contraindications for using this method for the HIV positive patients ?

Sincerely Alexander

Response from Dr. Young

Hello Alexander and thanks for posting.

Since the PRP method is utilizing your own blood products, I can see now reason why there would be any problems with this procedure in positives. Let us know how things go.

From one former athlete to another, BY

Storage of Truvada and Isentress(PEP question)
American purchasing meds in Thailand?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint