Advanced Stage

Thank you so much for replying about my sister serious condition. I wanted to give a little background of what happened. She got infection (herpis genital) and they gave her some medication fot that. After starting the treatment for infection her HIV drugs(zidovudine) become resistant. In hospital itself her blood clott occured in the leg. They gave some medicine to that. Doctor did not inform her about her cd4 count. He niether changed the drug nor told them that her CD4 dropped from 310 to 26. They sent home saying everything fine. After going she went to serious condition and we took her to a different hospital. There also they delayed the medicine saying it could provide complications. Finally they started two days ago. Her heartbeat came to normal. Yesterday her urine color is red and she feels very tight in the abdomen(could be gas). Is this caused by medicine. I am really worried about her. The medicine they gave are one capusel of Reyataz and one capsule of tenofovir disoproxil fumarate and lamivudine. Do we have any better medications. She is totally weak and not able to eat anything. She is in India and I am trying to help her. Please any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Hello and thanks for posting again.

Sounds like your sister is getting better.

My main concern is whether the medications you've listed are complete. Tenofovir (once daily) + lamivudine (300 mg once daily) with atazanavir (300 mg once daily) is an excellent regimen, but also requires ritonavir 100 mg once daily (as tenofovir lowers atazanavir levels, but the ritonavir compensates for this drug-drug interaction). This regimen should be taken with food in the stomach.

As for her stomach tightness, this could indeed be related to her new medications, as nausea, gas or diarrhea would not be uncommon in the first days of treatment- this usually improves with time, but if her symptoms are severe, the situation should be brought to the attention of her care providers.

I hope that helps and wish your sister well. Stay in touch, BY

Ricovir-Em after possible exposure
American purchasing meds in Thailand? (Channeling Andrew)