Ricovir-Em after possible exposure

I was possibly exposed to HIV in Thailand and was given Ricovir-em within 12 Hours to take for 1 month. is Ricovir-em alone sufficiant enough to reduce the risk of getting infected or should i ask to be given other mediations to increase my chances?

Many Thanks

Hello and thanks for posting.

Post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) for HIV is very effective, particularly when started soon after exposure (as in your case). Know that the risk of getting HIV from a single sexual exposure is actually surprisingly low.

There are a range of recommended regimens for prevention of HIV- some include the use of two NRTI treatment, like tenofovir/FTC (called Truvada here, Recovir-em is a generic version); other protocols use a three drug regimen. There's little data comparing 2 to 3 drug regimens for PEP, but if your risk was low, this is probably enough.

Do make sure that you get regular medical follow up and testing for HIV and other potential infections. I usually recommend follow up at 1 and 3 months.

Be well, BY

HIV drug combinations
Advanced Stage