Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

cellular therapy - BMTP
Mar 10, 2013

Hello Benjamin Young, MD, Phd,

I found out that Bone Marrow Transplantation with cellular therapy (infuse IL2...) could succesfully clear the virus form the body. Hopefully :) some pubmed article write about it. Us it is important for me I looked after exhaustively! But I'm just a hard-working tigged. Could you tell me somebody who can help me with it. Who is working in cell therapy - HIV - BMTP? It is also difficult that HIV is always like a "secret". If I found somebody who is working in this area I'm not sure if I can contact with him. So, it is also important to found that competent doctor who is also helpfull.

It is really difficult to finde somebody if I'm not a medical or a big medicine company. They don't want to speak to me.

How can I solve this problem? I also can pay for it maybe not that much like a big medicine company but maybe it is not that much work already us I read on pubmed...

Thank You! Livia

Response from Dr. Young

Hello Livia and thanks for posting.

There is a lot of talk these days about cure for HIV. Strategies include bone marrow transplantation with genetically modified stem cells (like the "Berlin patient"), activation of latently-infected cells with HDAC, or very early treatment (like the Mississippi child, reported this past week). None of these are ready for wide-spread implementation, and it could be a very long time before this happens. Nonetheless, what is clear is that the field is moving finally and there is a lot of hope for novel strategies to change the landscape of the future.

You need not be a big drug company or doctor to follow the story or even to be involved. Many US universities have community advisory boards, where community input is actively sought. I'd suggest following the feeds from TheBody.com or the Treatment Action Group.

Hope that helps, BY

Previous
Efavirenz and long-term Lorazepam use
Next
HIV drug combinations

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.