Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Efavirenz and long-term Lorazepam use
Mar 10, 2013

Dear Doctor,

I have a question to ask you. I began taking ARVs, specically Efavirenz (600mg)/Truvada almost 3 months ago. My VL is now suppressed and CD4 is about 380 at 20%. I am able to manage the side effect of Efa after about 2 months but insomnia continues to be a problem. My doctor prescribed me Lorazepam (0.5mg) and they definitely help me sleep better. I fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer. However, I fear the side effect of long term Lorazepam so I am trying to cut down or discontinue the use. However, the insomnia returns. Please note that I have had sleep trouble for years even before I was infected 3 yrs ago but now the problem seems to precipitate a lot more now that I am on Efavirenz. I only have an occasional bad dreams but with bad sleep habits it really does take a toll on me. So the question is whether it is safe to continue using Lorazepam while on EFV until I am able to manage sleep on my own (not sure when this will happen though). My kidney and liver tests are good as of a month ago. Thank you.

Response from Dr. Young

Hello and thanks for posting.

From what you describe you are experiencing side effects from the efavirenz part of Atripla; and while the lorazepam is helping, I'd wonder about it's long-term use- no less because of the addictive potential, but more because I'd think that there are other suitable and less side effect prone options.

In the short term, there's little harm in taking the lorazepam, but if your sleep still depends on this at your next clinic visit, I'd be sure to ask about your other treatment options.

Hope that helps. BY

Previous
Post PEP experience with PCR
Next
cellular therapy - BMTP

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.