availablity of HIV meds in Nicaragua

I was diagnosed as HIV positive in October 2009. In May of 2010 I began treatment with ATRIPLA...having good results with that. I have never missed a dose since I began. My question is...I am thinking of moving to Nicaragua in about one year from now and am wondering if you know if ATRIPLA is available in Nicaragua or if Other drugs are available to replace that regimen? Also I am wondering if you know the cost of HIV regimen on average in Nicaragua.

Hello and thanks for posting.

Nicaragua has a very good HIV response- the UNAIDS country profile provides an outside review of the situation in the country.

Atripla is approved and registered in Nicaragua as are all of the single components of Atripla (tenofivir, FTC/3TC and efavirenz). I can't speak specifically to the availability of the co-formulated medication in the clinics or cost of medication in the country, but perhaps one of our readers (channeling Wilmer) can speak to this.

I'd suggest contacting a AIDS-service organization in Managua for up-to-date information about the situation.

Hope that helps, BY

Changing from Epzicom+Prezista+Norvir to Combivir+Sustiva
Your recent question 3-1 about Peripheral neuropathy