Specialty pharmacies

Hi Dr. Young, I am writing to you today, because I just read and article by Michelle J. Sherman,in "thebody news letter" about the specialty hiv pharmacies,that make me feel unconfortable,she says and I quote"WHERE YOU CHOOSE TO PICK UP YOUR HIV MEDS CAN HAVE A HUGE IMPACT ON WEATHER YOUR TREATMENT WILL ULTIMATELY BE SUCCSSESFUL" for more than a year I am using my neiborhood Walgreens to pick up my son's meds only once they did not have the meds on stock but they sent me to another Walgreens just a few blocks away,my son is on Atripla, I am sure this is not one hiv specialty pharmacy because of the neiborhood,but for me is very convenient,my question to you is can I keep going to this pharmacy,or should I find one that is an hiv specialty pharmacy even if they are far from my house, I want to do the best I can in helping in my son's treatment,and now this article got me confused, his hiv doctor never mentioned anything about where he should order the meds, I suppose that Walgreens is a reputable pharmacy and is nationwide what is your opinion on that Dr. Young? Thanks again because you always answer me and I feel very confortable writing to you. Worried Mom

Hi Mom and thanks for posting.

If you feel comfortable communicating with your son's doctor and pharmacist- and if you haven't had any difficulty getting his medications, then I see no need to switch pharmacies at this time.

The main point about the specialty pharmacies is that they will best understand how to assist with adherence to medications, survey for possible negative drug-drug interactions and know the importance of uninterrupted supply of medications.

Fortunately, Walgreens has a nation-wide program to assist their lower volume pharmacies in achieving this goal, as it would appear to be the case in your situation.

Hope that helps, BY

PEP treatment + HIV test
cd4 and cd8 counts