Truvada and Stocrin

Hello, I had an unprotected sex with HIV positive person with undetectable viral load who was on Atripla. I went immediately for PEP and got Truvada/Stocrin combination. Right now it's my 21st day on PEP and I must say my body is not handling Stocrin well, having nausea, insomnia and wild dreams. I'm taking Trittico for better sleep but it doesn't help much. As I heard usually Truvada is the only med prescriped, would you recommend stopping taking Stocrin and take only Truvada or should I finish the treatment with both of the meds? Thanks for your answer.

Hi and thanks for posting.

There's a lot of variation in recommendations for PEP treatment. Some recommend only two NRTIs for exposures, so Truvada in this case would be adequate.

It's also notable that no guidelines recommend using efavirenz (Stocrin, Sustiva) for PEP- this is because of it's side effect profile (that you've suffered through) and the relatively high rates of drug resistance.

I'd think that you'd be ok to just stop the Stocrin at this point and complete the remaining days of Truvada.

I hope that helps. Good luck, BY

HIV drugs and Valium
Combivir + Duovir-N