switch from atripla to complera

Dear doctor,Because of sleep-and concentrationproblems my consultant would switch my treatment from atripla to complera. I am now 4 years witn atripla as first medicament. But now I have read that taking complera limits your later opcions to other regims based on a non-nucleoside. Is it not better to stay with atripla until a better opcion is available? Many thanks for answering.

Hello and thanks for posting.

Seems reasonable to consider a switch off of efavirenz (part of Atripla) if there's no other apparent reason for your sleep and concentration symptoms.

Switching to Complera would be reasonable, if the dietary requirement (taking the pill with a 400 cal meal) isn't a problem.

As for the resistance issues, people starting and subsequently experiencing treatment failure with Complera do typically have virus with a broader cross resistance problem than with other regimens. If you've been taking your Atripla without adherence problems and have been suppressed for 4 years, I'd doubt that this will be an issue for you.

There is indeed no reason to rush into a switch- you've been on your otherwise well-functioning regimen for a long time. Complera would allow you to continue on a one pill a day regimen; it might also be worth talking to your consultant about other regimens that might not be as low pill count, but still avoid the unwanted side effects.

Hope that helps, BY

HIV and HPV
ALOE VERA GEL and FOREVER PRODUCTS AND ATRIPLA