meth and stribild

I relapsed on methamphetamines recently and I'm on the medication stribild is that a deadly combination

Hi and thanks for posting.

Methampehatmine is a particularly dangerous recreational drug- it's powerfully addictive (as you can speak to), and has been reported to have a very serious drug-drug reaction with some HIV medications- in particular the boosted PI Kaletra.

There's little primary research on meth and the medications in Stribild, but since the cobicistat part of Stribild works the same way as the ritonavir part of Kaletra, I'd be very cautious.

Hopefully, you have a trusting, non-judgmental relationship with our doctor who can help you develop a safe, harm-reduction-based strategy of working through this. If you're shooting, use clean needles, syringes and kits whenever possible; while you're using, try to use the lease amount possible with the lowest frequency (if that makes sense). Seems like you've gotten off of meth in the past; this gives me hope that you'll successfully do it again this time.

Be well and safe, BY

Response from Dr. Fawcett

As Dr. Young pointed out, meth is a dangerous drug and combining it with certain HIV drugs can increase the likelihood of toxicity. Because of the drug's powerful cravings and its association with sex,there is a good amount of relapse.

I recommend finding a support group, usually a combination of Crystal Meth Anonymous and either Alcoholics Anonymous or Narcotics Anonymous. The sooner you interrupt the slip the better off you'll be.

Thanks for writing, David

Thank you so much
efivarenz and tenifover