I need your opinion Dr. Young

Yesterday I went with my son for the results of his last lab work,his doctor who has been the same one since diagnosed on October 2011 and who is an HIV specialist,was pleased with the results,but I was not I want your opinion as well, I will give a litle info. My son is on Atripla since diagnosed. Oct/2011 CD4 264 VL in thousands Dec/2011 CD4 406 VL 300 April/2012 CD4 664 VL Undetectable 30% June/2012 CD4 587 VL Undetectable 36% Oct/2012 CD4 640 VL Undetectable 40% Feb/2013 CD4 527 VL Undetectable 37% He came from vacation 2 days before he had his lab done I think he had a little cold or just had passed one but I can not be sure, but I am afraid if he took well his meds he told me yes,I know about the fluctuations that hapens on the CD4, but what bothers me more are the "3 points drop" in the %,his doctor re assured me that everything was fine, he even said and I quote the numbers are no good they are "great" the rest of lab was fine negative for TB and Pap smear,he tested positive for Syphillis back in June got shot it was much lower in October and yesterday no changes he says that some time it leave a little scar for some time at least that is what I understood but he was not concern at all cholesterol 211 but the good cholesterol was at 66 so he was not going to do anything for that. So,I know the numbers are within the normal range, but what is your opinion Dr. Young

Hi and thanks for posting.

I agree with your son's doctor. Your son's labs have looked great for years. I wouldn't be worried about the small drop in CD4 percentage- first, because me may have had a cold; second, because the differences are not significant and his labs remain in the normal range.

Further, if his LDL cholesterol is really 66- he's doing great from that perspective too.

Hope that helps, BY

Kind of desperate
Thank you so much