Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Got a call from County STD division, want to meet with me from life insurance test.
Feb 9, 2013

I just recently got denied life insurance after a blood and urine test. Then yesterday at 4:30pm (On friday, how nice is that?) A man calls me and says its urgent for us to get together next week (Leaving me all weekend to ponder) that he is with the STD Communicable disease department of the State of Missouri. We have a meeting set to go over results on Monday, and he said that over the weekend I could have casual contact, but not to have any sexual encounters at all, because I am positive for something. So after lots of googling the only two things I can find are HIV and Hepatitis that the Life insurance could have possibly tested for in my blood. I just finished getting all my blood test ed at DR two weeks ago, and had a little high cholestrol, my testostrone was a little low, but all liver and such was fine. As well, I just welcomed my daughter into the world 6 months ago. I have been married and monogamous for the past 3 years. Now to the questions : A. Wouldn't they test my wife for HIV/HEP during the pregnancy process? We used an actual DR and Hospital no midwife and know they did quite a few checks.

B. I had my tonsils removed last year and did blood work for that, and then as I stated just did blood work up for a check up. wouldn't HIV /HEP come up here?

Just trying to ease my mind which is hard to do before this meeting. I would think they would test my wife when pregnant for sure.

Response from Dr. Young

Hi and thanks for posting.

I don't think that I'll be of much help here- yes, it's very likely that your wife was tested during pregnancy for HIV and hepatitis. But just because she had a negative test doesn't mean that you might not be infected with something.

Also, until very recently, it would not have been usual to test you for HIV or hepatitis during your previous surgery.

Today however, the US Preventive Task Force recommends that HIV testing be part of routine care for all people- so maybe this will change in the months and years to come.

Good luck with the County, and don't hesitate to write back. BY

Previous
future
Next
saint john's wort - valerian and meds for hiv

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.