Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Chance of HIV- On PEP 60hrs
Feb 8, 2013

Hi There- Hi Dr! I made the biggest mistake of my life....After a breakup of a long relationship, i was on vacation in Thailand and stupidly had sex with a sex worker. I am sure you know how prevelant they are in Thailand....Anyways the condom broke, this breaking caused small friction lesions on my penis. We continued to have sex and then had sex again unprotected. :( I did not see the friction sores till the next day, they did not hurt to the touch, but looked raw. I started Truvada (only .50 a day in thailand) very cheap, about 56-60 hrs later. I am wondering what my chances really are. She claims she just got out of a monogomous relationship and went to do that kind of work..but who the hell knows.... Worrying myself sicking and ruining my trip. Thanks

Response from Dr. Young

Hi and thanks for posting your PEP question.

Lots of people have possible HIV exposures, so this question is a relevant one.

First off-- to your risk. While vaginal intercourse is still considered risky, the risk after a single insertive vaginal exposure is estimated to be about 0.05% or 1 in 2000. Using post-exposure prophylaxis, started within 72 hours of the exposure very much additionally reduces risk, at least 80%, but with modern medications, like Truvada, much more.

Second, you can't tell someone's risk simply by whether or not she's in a monogamous relationship or not. Make sure that you get HIV tested (preferably now and at 1 and 3 months after the exposure) and tested for other sexually transmitted infections.

Be well and stay safe(r), BY

Previous
Treating chlamydia with clindamycin and or Zithromax
Next
hepatitis vaccination

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.