9 moths on treatment and detectable

Dear Doctor,

I was infected end of November 2011, diagnosed during seroconversion two months latter, CD4 count was 240 and viral load ten million. I started treatment three months latter, when CD 4 was 670 and viral load 160000 and something. CD4 went good, arrived even to 940 in three months after starting treatment. But, after 6 months I was steel detectable with 120 viral load and, again after 9 months CD4 was 870 and viral load 72. At the beginning I had rezistency test, so the schema was supposed to work. I take Prezista (800 mg), Truvada, Norvir, once daily and never skipped a dose, delayed sometimes but no longer than 20-30 minutes. I know the numbers are good, but I am worried that something with the treatment is not working, since I know almost everyone should be undetectable at 6 months and that being detectable rises the risk of virus mutation and treatment failure.

Hello and thanks for posting.

I would not be concerned about your very low detectable viral load- you started with an astonishingly high viral load- it's not unexpected that it might take a little longer to reach the magical <20 copies.

Indeed, your decrease from 10,000,000 to 72 is a 5 log or 99.999% decrease- actually quite good.

Just keep up with the adherence and follow up visits.

Be well, BY

Taking PEP
Drug Interactions: Complera and MDMA