Ginseng and HAART

I am on ARV's (efevarenz, tenofovir and lamivudine)and I accidentally took vitamin supplements with ginseng, I always felt fatigued after taking the supplement. I have taken the supplement for week. I have three questions:- 1. Does ginseng interact with the above ARV's 2. If it does what are the chances that the virus will develop resistance 3. The supplement also have nicotinamide does this also also affect the the drugs I am taking adversly and should I stop abruptly taking this vitamin supplement.

Hello and thanks for posting.

My first question is if ginseng makes you feel fatigued, and there's no proven benefit, why are you taking ginseng?

According to the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (one of the best sources of information about supplements), there shouldn't be any negative interactions between your medications.

NCCAM reports that sleep problems are commonly reported with gingeng- I suppose that this might be related to your fatigue too.

There's no harm in your HIV medications' potency from this week's vitamin.

I usually tell my patients that the best "supplement" is a balanced diet, one rich in fruits, fiber and vegetables. If your diet doesn't contain adequate levels of vitamin D and calcium (as is usually the case), then getting these as vitamin/supplements would be reasonable.

I hope that helps. BY

stribild and "mental disconnection", loss of focus, a little confused
Aspirin to reduce inflammation?