atripla

i have been positive for the last 16 yrs and started treatment in 2009 and last yr i just stopped taking my meds & cant seem yo go back into them told my dr and im seeing a shrink to deal with the problem but i dont want to n cant accept my status...why is it that.oh i got raped by a close family friend thats how i got into this...

Hello and thanks for posting.

Sorry to hear about your travails... while stopping medications wouldn't be my first recommendation, it would seem that your mental health and wellbeing are of top priority right now.

Be sure to communicate your interruption with your HIV medical care provider- it's relevant to know how to interpret your lab results and to strategize about any immediate medical risks.

I'd suggest surfing some of our blogs and chat forums- they might provide a resource to sound out your very real needs.

Stay in touch, BY

Response from Dr. Fawcett

I agree with Dr. Young that it is best to collaborate with your health care providers so that they can help you during this stressful time. Medication adherence is a complex process that can be difficult to sort out, but a clear starting point would be to address the trauma you experienced through the rape and exposure to HIV. Trauma is often a culprit in nonadherence and is no doubt connected to your feelings about not accepting your HIV status.

There are effective trauma therapies which can help you identify, appropriately express, and resolve these old feelings. Speak with your physician about a referral to a healthcare provider who specializes in trauma. I believe such therapy will be a significant part of healing for you.

Best wishes,

David

Access to Atripla in Venezuela?
in stress