Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

PEP after known HIV+ splash in eyes
Jan 29, 2013

Hi there, I work in a hospital and I recently have had a very minute amount of HIV+ blood squirt into my eye. Im not even sure if it actually went in. All i know is that it was so small to the point that my eye didnt even water or get irritated. Anyways, The doctors told me its a small risk but since the source is a known HIV+ and is very ill, they put me on truvada and isentress for 30 days. I went on the drugs within 12 hours. I just want to know how bad my risk is. Im freaking out and I dont know what to do. I seem to be tolerating the drugs well but i do feel out of it. I just want to know if i was right to go on the drugs, and what my outlook looks like. thanks in advance.

Response from Dr. Young

Hi and thanks for posting.

With a known HIV+ source and ill (perhaps implying having detectable viremia), and with the knowledge that ocular exposures can (however rarely) result in HIV infection, I think that PEP is reasonable. It does sound like your exposure was quite small, and therefore of lower risk.

Overall, the published risks of HIV infection following mucous membrane exposure is estimated to be about 0.09% (or about 1 in 1000). PEP is clearly believed to reduce risk much further, though it's hard to put a number on this. From AVERT.org, "a South African study of 480 rape survivors taking a 6-week course of zidovudine and lamivudine, only one woman became HIV-positive. Another study looked at 2,000 non-occupational exposures to HIV from four countries (Australia, France, Switzerland, and the United States). Out of 350 people treated with PEP who reported being exposed to HIV-infected sources, none became infected as a result of PEP failure."

I hope that helps. BY

Previous
Bilateral deafness
Next
Which combo?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.