Herpes simplex IRIS

I recently started ARV treatment using Tribuss. I noticed that I have a sore in moy gum that won't respond to over the counter antihistamine or fungal cream. Is this a sign of IRIS? Should I counsult my doctor to rule out possibility of IRIS? My recent tests on monitoring did not reveal untoward symptoms but I am worried that this sore on the side of my mouth cavity is uncomfortable but not sore and moved from the gum below my front teeth. Should I be worried?

Hello and thanks for posting.

I think that you're probably getting a few steps ahead of the diagnostic pace. First, IRIS is something that occurs primarily among people who start ART with very low CD4 counts and have large increases in their counts in the weeks and months that follow.

As for the oral sore, there are many things (other than fungal or yeast infections) that could be the cause. If the sore isn't painful, it's very unlikely that it's herpes. Having said that, it sounds like the lesion has been there for a while and deserves a medical or dental evaluation.

For now, I wouldn't be overly concerned, but let your care providers know about your symptoms.

Be well, BY

15 days of Truvada enough?
High Dose Medrol Taper - Safe?